George Chajewski’s Turkey Gumbo
Serving size: 4
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 lb okra, fresh cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 c celery, diced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minched
- 1 8 oz can tomato paste
- 4 vine ripened tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 c chicken stock
- 2 c turkey, cooked, diced
- 1/2 tsp gumbo file powder
- Melt butter in non-stick stock pot.
- Add okra and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Remove okra pieces to a bowl.
- Add celery, onion, green pepper and garlic to the pot.
- Cook over medium heat until onion is transparent.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes, chicken stock, okra mixture and turkey.
- Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until turkey is hot.
- Add gumbo ﬁle powder.
- Stir to blend.
- Spoon over cooked rice in soup bowls.
View Recipe Archives
- Lisa Reed, Tonsil Cancer Survivor, Featured on HealthCentral
- HNCA CEO to Moderate Oncology Panel Discussion
- Lakers Podcast: Michael Cooper On The 17-18 Season, Battling Cancer, & A Secret Workout With Kobe Bryant
- Michael Cooper, NBA Champion and Tongue Cancer Survivor Urges Public to Attend Free Local Screenings During Oral, Head and Neck Cancer Awareness Week® (OHANCAW)
- HNCA Board Member, Dr. Terry Day, March 12th Radio Interview Available Online