George Chajewski’s Turkey Gumbo
Serving size: 4
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 lb okra, fresh cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 c celery, diced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 8 oz can tomato paste
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 c chicken stock
- 2 c turkey, cooked, diced
- 1/2 tsp gumbo file powder
- Melt butter in non-stick stock pot.
- Add okra and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Remove okra pieces to a bowl.
- Add celery, onion, green pepper and garlic to the pot.
- Cook over medium heat until onion is transparent.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes, chicken stock, okra mixture and turkey.
- Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until turkey is hot.
- Add gumbo ﬁle powder.
- Stir to blend.
- Spoon over cooked rice in soup bowls.
Excerpted from Healing & Easy Eats: Recipes for Head and Neck Cancer Patients and Survivors (Second Edition), the official cookbook of the Head and Neck Cancer Alliance. Copyright © 2018. Available online now!br>
- More Stars Join Stand Up to Cancer Roadblock Fundraising Telecast and Streaming Event
- HNCA Supports Stand Up To Cancer As Seventh Biennial Roadblock Telecast Returns On August 21, 2021
- HPV-Attributed Head and Neck Cancer: A New Treatment on the Horizon
- Support Resources for Head and Neck Cancer Patients, Survivors and Caregivers
- The Story Behind the Smash Cancer Tennis Tournament: The Howard Family