Spiced Orange Granita
- 1 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tbsp of honey
- ½ tsp of orange zest
- ½ tsp of freshly grated ginger
- 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper
- In a small sauce pan on low heat combine orange juice and water. Add honey, orange zest, ginger and cayenne pepper. Gently heat for 5-6 minutes. Transfer liquid to a shallow freezer-safe container. Freeze for one hour, then using a fork agitate the mixture to prevent it from freezing as a block. Do this every hour until desired consistency is reached.
Recipe note from the recipe creator, Shannon Hamilton:
“This recipe was created to be both healthy and tasteful. It is simple to make and is packed with vitamin C and antioxidants from its fresh fruit ingredients. The capsaicin found in the cayenne pepper has been found to help alleviate pain where applied. The recipe was designed to have a cool citrus taste with a subtle zing from the ginger and cayenne and sweet honey to even it out.
As a registered nurse I have had the opportunity to care for cancer patients and see a glimpse into their dietary world. During treatment, the taste can be significantly altered. I understand that simple remedies can be very effective in helping an upset stomach and with the oral discomfort associated with cancer.”
- More Stars Join Stand Up to Cancer Roadblock Fundraising Telecast and Streaming Event
- HNCA Supports Stand Up To Cancer As Seventh Biennial Roadblock Telecast Returns On August 21, 2021
- HPV-Attributed Head and Neck Cancer: A New Treatment on the Horizon
- Support Resources for Head and Neck Cancer Patients, Survivors and Caregivers
- The Story Behind the Smash Cancer Tennis Tournament: The Howard Family