April 20-26, 2014
Find a Screening Site -- Click here for the current list!
Register now! You do not have to know your event date at this time. Once you know the date, come back to our site and update your event information, and we'll send you a kit with promotional materials, including our
PSA Video Contest - View the 2013 Winning Videos!
FIRST TIME TO HOST AN OHANCAW® EVENT?
Check out the rest of the information on this page. When you're ready to register your site, follow this link to our Registration Page and enter your information.
HOSTED IN 2013 AND WANT TO REGISTER FOR 2014?
Just use your username and password from 2013 and update your event information for 2014.
The Head and Neck Cancer Alliance wishes to thank everyone involved in making 2013 such a successful year! Go to our Final Results page to see the final numbers and report, and more information.
Want to see if a site has registered to host a free screening in your local community for 2014? Just Click here to see the current list of sites, or click on one of the links below to view our National or Global map.
View National Map of Sites View Global Map of Sites
HOW TO GET STARTED
View PowerPoint Presentation
Our online media and resource kit will be updated as we move toward the OHANCAW events. We will continue to add documents to help make your event a success. View the current documents we have on our Forms & Setup page.
Oral, Head and Neck Cancer Awareness Week® (OHANCAW®) 2014 is April 20-26. OHANCAW is a weeklong series of events to promote education and awareness organized through the Head and Neck Cancer Alliance, formerly known as the Yul Brynner Head and Neck Cancer Foundation. The highlight of OHANCAW is a day of free screenings across the country on Friday, April 25th.
Do You Know the Oral, Head and Neck Cancer Risk Factors?
Tobacco (including smokeless tobacco) and alcohol use are the most important risk factors for head and neck cancers. People who use both tobacco and alcohol are at greater risk for developing these cancers than people who use either tobacco or alcohol alone. Over the past decade, an increasing number of young, non- smokers have developed mouth and throat cancer associated with the human papilloma virus, or HPV.
Signs & Symptoms May Include:
- A sore in your mouth that doesn’t heal or increases in size
- Persistent pain in your mouth
- Lumps or white or red patches inside your mouth
- Thickening of your cheek
- Difficulty chewing or swallowing or moving your tongue
- Difficulty moving your jaw, or swelling or pain in your jaw
- Soreness in your throat or feeling that something is caught in your throat
- Pain around your teeth, or loosening of your teeth
- Numbness of your tongue or elsewhere in your mouth
- Changes in your voice
- A lump in your neck
- Bad breath
Oral, Head and Neck Cancer:
- Cancer that arises in the head or neck region, including the nasal cavity, sinuses, lips, mouth, thyroid glands, salivary glands, throat, or larynx (voice box)
- In the United States, over 100,000 cases (including thyroid) were expected in 2012
Start OHANCAW in your hometown: click here!